Ways to Help the Environment

Knowing Our Environment

Ways to Help the Environment - Doing your part

There are many ways to help the environment particularly in the fight against global warming. One shouldn’t think that issues like global warming are too big for any ordinary citizen to not pay attention to; on the contrary, the collective effort of millions of citizens can make a big difference towards findings ways to help the environment.

Here is a short list of simple but effective tips that can be followed in the household on a daily basis so we can do our share in helping the environment.

1.Use compact fluorescent bulbs instead of incandescent ones. Fluorescent lighting is more efficient in utilizing electrical energy and also provides brighter illumination compared to incandescent light for the same wattage. According to statistics, replacing one incandescent bulb with a compact fluorescent lighting in every home in the United States is equivalent to one million cars from the road annually.

2.Turn off appliances when not in use. Of the many suggested ways to help the environment, this is the simplest and also the most neglected. Appliances like televisions and computers on standby use as much as 10%-40% of the energy if it were turned on. Turning it off and unplugging it from the socket also lowers your energy bill on a monthly basis.

3.Optimize your thermostat setting. In the summer, increase your air-conditioning setting by 2 degrees and reduce it by 2 degrees in the winter accordingly. For example, if you are used to setting your aircon to 22-degrees in the summer, dial it up to 24 degrees instead. The difference wouldn’t be as noticeable. In the winter, do the reverse by setting your thermostat to 22 instead of 24. This tip can help reduce up to 2,000 pounds in equivalent carbon dioxide emissions annually.

4.The most common slogan for ways to help the environment: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Reduction lessens the burden on city garbage disposal systems resulting to less clogged waterways and more efficient landfills; reuse reduces the rate of consumption for natural resources as in logging for paper or mining for metals; recycle has positive effects on both natural resource consumption and energy utilization. Recycling glass, for example, results to a 20% reduction in air pollution and 50% in water emissions.

5.Carpool to and from work. Cars are one of the most inefficient machines, not to mention pervasive emitters of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases. A typical car only converts 20 percent of the energy you fed into it into useful work; he remaining 80 percent gets wasted as heat. Carpooling will reduce your energy consumption and gas emissions.

6.Plant trees. It’s an activity we used to do quite frequently back in grade school. Now, not so much. Trees are excellent absorbers of carbon dioxide; one tree can take out 50 pounds worth of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere every year. With the fast diminishing forest covers across the world, it is high-time, now more than ever, to emphasize planting trees.

7.One of the best ways to help the environment is to spread the advocacy around. Share your knowledge to neighbors, reach out to local communities and teach kids the value of reduce, reuse, recycle. Explain the necessity to be energy efficient so they will come to learn taking care of the environment at an early age. The earlier values are instilled, the bigger the chance that they will grow with those values still intact.

Findings ways to help the environment is easy but the execution often times isn’t. Partner with your neighbors to establish local centers for environmental care and preservation. A little collective effort can go a long way into helping the environment and preserving it for the next generations.